Are you looking for ways to reduce your carbon footprint and save yourself a bit of money on your monthly utility bills? Good news—there are some steps you can take as a homeowner to cut down on how much money you can expect to shell out for these bills each month. Some of these steps involve tweaking how you use your HVAC system in Lexington, KY, while others involve changes to your electrical usage and water usage. Let’s take a look at some tips you can benefit from:
- Check seals: Seals on your windows, doors and appliances will help you to make sure warm and cold air stay where they belong. Bad seals make it easy for air to slip by, which means your HVAC system will need to work harder to keep temperatures at the proper levels.
- Set a heating and cooling schedule: If you’re away from home eight or nine hours a day, do you really need to keep your air conditioning or heat at the same temperature you do when you’re at home? Cutting back on your heating or cooling while you’re at work can help you lower costs by as much as 10 percent, which can really add up over the course of a year.
- Seal ducts: If you have air leaks in your ductwork, it can be beneficial to make the proper repairs by sealing those ducts up.
- Change light bulbs: Using LED bulbs with Energy Star certification saves you a significant amount of energy, and they last a very long time. They are more expensive than standard bulbs and will thus cost more initially, but over time they will more than pay for themselves.
- Use dimmer switches: Dimmer switches give you more control over exactly how much power flows to the light bulb it controls, which not only means you can save more energy using one, but you can also more effectively set the mood for whatever room you’re in.
- Improve insulation: If you don’t have sufficient insulation installed in your home, or the insulation you do have is in poor condition, it can be worthwhile to install new insulation. Today’s insulation has a much higher R-value than older styles of insulation, and will help you make sure you keep your hot or cold air in your home where it belongs all year long.
- Change your water usage: There are ways you can adjust your water usage to help you cut down on your utility bills. Take shorter showers, use low-flow toilets and showerheads, fix any leaks that occur in your plumbing, avoid washing clothes in hot water and try to conserve water as much as possible.
- Use energy-efficient appliances: If you’re already looking for new appliances for your home, purchasing energy-efficient models can go a long way toward helping you cut down your overall energy usage in your home and save you some money.
For more information and tips about maximizing the energy efficiency of your home, and specifically your HVAC system in Lexington, KY, contact Cross Heating & Air Conditioning Services, LLC today.
Categorised in: HVAC System