It’s that time of year again—temperatures are rising and most of us are cranking up our air conditioners in an effort to beat the heat. However, if you follow proper A/C maintenance in Lexington, KY, you may not want to crank your thermostat down quite as low as you’d prefer. Instead, stay cool and save money using these recommended summer air conditioner tips:
- Set your thermostat to 78°F: The United States Department of Energy recommends that your thermostat should be set to 78°F when you’re at home. This will keep your home at reasonably cool levels and limit the amount of time that your A/C runs.
- Turn it up when you’re away: While 78°F is a great sweet spot when you’re at home, turning your A/C up when you’re away will help you save even more on energy and cooling costs, so you don’t waste money cooling a space that no one’s inside. It’s recommended to turn it up about 10 degrees higher while you’re away, especially if it’s during the hottest time of the day. That means your A/C should be at 88°F during the day while you’re not at home. Believe it or not, the higher interior temperature will slow the flow of heat into your space, so it takes less energy to cool things down when you get back.
- Make it a cool 78°F: Some of us may find that 78°F feels hot, especially after the cold winter. However, there are additional things you can do to help your house feel cooler. Investing in a dehumidifier can help make the interior temperature feel cooler, as will utilizing ceiling fans, which will increase cooling efficiency and help you avoid needing emergency A/C maintenance in Lexington, KY.
- Window treatments and insulation: Keeping your home better insulated against the heat will even further limit energy costs and help keep your A/C working smarter rather than harder. Try applying solar heat blocking window treatments like blinds and curtains, which will help keep out heat. You can also replace weather-stripping and caulk around windows and doors—weather-stripping isn’t just for winter!
- Invest in lighter sleepwear: You may be able to save money and energy at night by raising the thermostat even higher. It will take less energy to cool the house without sunlight streaming in, and your body naturally cools down at night to sleep. If you find you’re a hot sleeper, try investing in some cooler night clothes and bedding that are specifically formulated for those who get hot at night.
- Invest in a smart, programmable thermostat: Investing in a smart thermostat will help you save energy and money. Instead of worrying about when to turn up or turn down the thermostat, and realizing in the evening that you’ve been cooling the house all day, a smart thermostat will regulate the heating and cooling without constant attention. It’s a no-brainer for proper A/C maintenance in Lexington, KY.
Cross Heating & Air Conditioning Services provides Lexington, KY with high-quality air conditioning assistance. We pride ourselves on offering high-quality and prompt repairs and services. Contact us today for A/C maintenance in Lexington, KY!
Categorised in: Air Conditioning Service