Your dentist probably sends you a reminder every six months that it’s time for a checkup. Your car’s dashboard may indicate when it’s time for an oil change. What’s your cue to change the air filter in your HVAC system in Lexington, KY? Many homeowners fail to change these filters when they should, due to a lack of knowledge about proper maintenance. This can lead to HVAC system breakdowns and a shortened system lifespan.
As a general rule of thumb, filters should be changed every 30 to 60 days. However, this varies based on filter type, location and the number of humans and animals living in the home. To keep your system running optimally, use the following guide for filter replacement:
- Simple suburbanite: If you’re living in an average suburban home, with no furry friends running around the house, your filter typically needs to be changed every 90 days. This is once per season. To help yourself remember to complete this task, change the filter on the first day of winter, spring, summer and fall.
- Four-legged home: If you have a dog or a cat, the air in your home requires extra filtering. The filter will encounter hair and dander not present in other homes. Due to this additional filtering, you should change your unit’s filter every 60 days.
- Pet palace: Do you have more than one feline or Fido running around the house? If so, you should change your filter more often. Homes with multiple pets require new filters every 20 to 45 days. A safe bet is to check it each month. To make this a habit, check and/or change the filter on the first day of every month, or do it the same day you pay your monthly rent or mortgage.
- Allergy haven: Those with allergies should follow the same schedule as those with multiple pets. Keeping your filter freshened every 20 to 45 days will help reduce the allergens in the home.
- Vacation getaway: If you own a property that is only used occasionally for vacations, you can change the filter every 6 to 12 months. If you visit the home each year, simply change it during your time there.
- Fortress of solitude: If you are the sole occupant of your home, you can follow the vacation-home schedule for filter replacement. Since your home will likely be filled with less dander, fur, dust and other particles, changing the filter once to twice a year should be sufficient. Of course, if you entertain often, pet sit or live near significant air pollution or construction, you may need to change it more frequently.
Get More Answers
Do you have additional questions about filter replacement or your HVAC system in Lexington, KY? Don’t hesitate to contact your local experts. The team at Cross Heating & Air Conditioning Services, LLC is happy to answer any questions you have. We leverage over 25 years of experience to provide the in-depth expertise you need to keep your system running smoothly. Reach out to us today with any inquiries or to schedule an appointment.
Categorised in: HVAC System