With the dog days of summer fast approaching, many homeowners will soon shift their focus to the operation of their air conditioners. While it is important to make sure that your unit is running smoothly, it just as important to make sure that it is doing so efficiently so you don’t break the bank by the end of the summer. Here are a few tips from your local source for AC repair in Lexington, KY to help you make sure your system is ready for the heat:
- Replace air filters: Changing the air filter on your HVAC system is one of the easiest components of maintenance that homeowners can perform on their own, but oftentimes these filters aren’t changed frequently enough. To help keep your air conditioner running as smoothly as possible this summer, try to change your filter at least once a month.
- Clear condensation lines: Similar to the air filter, the condensation line of your HVAC system can get clogged and filled with debris over time. Make sure that the condensation line is draining properly when your system is in use, and consult with a professional if a deeper cleaning is needed.
- Upgrade to a programmable thermostat: The addition of a programmable thermostat that automatically adjusts the temperatures according to your preset preferences can increase your energy savings substantially by reeling in the energy usage when you’re not home.
- Keep outside unit clear: It is a good idea to do a little spring maintenance in your yard to make sure the grass is cut and any plants or piles of leaves blocking the unit are removed before starting your system back up.
- Clean outside unit: Even if you employed a cover for your outside unit all winter, by the time the summer comes around it is likely that debris and dust have collected inside. To get the most out of your air conditioner, make sure to clean the entire outside unit thoroughly, including the coils and the fins.
- Repair ductwork: If there are any holes or leaks in the network of ducts in your home, you could be losing a considerable amount of conditioned air before it even makes it to your vents. If you suspect there are any weaknesses in the system, make sure to have them repaired immediately to help keep your energy costs down.
- Maintain the concrete slab: If the slab that your outside unit rests on is not level, it could force your entire air conditioning system to work harder to provide the same desired temperatures. Check the slab with a level to make sure it is where it needs to be, and if not, add a small amount of gravel underneath it until it is corrected.
If you need help preparing your air conditioning system for the summer, contact the team at Cross Heating & Air Conditioning Services, LLC. Our knowledgeable staff has been handling HVAC maintenance and AC repair in Lexington, KY for more than 25 years, and we are ready to use our expertise to make sure that your system is ready to operate as well. Make sure to give us a call today so your family can enjoy a cool and comfortable summer!
Categorised in: Air Conditioner Repair