Replacing the air filter is one of the most crucial aspects of maintaining your heating and air in Lexington, KY. As you’ll see below, even though it’s a simple device, an air filter does wonders for your home and HVAC unit. Thankfully, swapping your old filter with a new one isn’t tricky as long as you know where to look! Keep reading to learn where to find your air filter slot:
- Side of the unit: The air filter slot for horizontal HVAC units tends to be on the side of the unit next to the air handler.
- Top of the air handler: Do you have a vertical HVAC system? If so, the slot for your air filter may be on the top of the air handler.
- Below the unit: Many people would agree that replacing a filter located below the HVAC system is the most difficult. Unfortunately, that might be where it’s located if you have a vertical air handler.
- On the wall: Your air filter might not be on your HVAC unit at all; that’s what confuses a lot of homeowners! Air filters might be located inside your home behind the air vent. You’ll have to remove the grill to replace the air filter if that’s the case in your home.
Why replace your filter?
Replacing your HVAC air filter is a very simple part of a good maintenance plan, but its benefits cannot be understated:
- Protect your unit: Dust, pet dander and other contaminants can easily enter your HVAC unit and wreak havoc on its delicate interior components. Thankfully, an air filter prevents that from happening quite so easily. A new air filter will trap all of those pollutants before they enter your system. You can potentially save yourself thousands of dollars on repairs by replacing your filter on a regular basis.
- Reduce energy costs: Your unit has to work harder to produce airflow when your air filter is dirty or completely clogged. It goes without saying that the harder your furnace works, the more expensive your energy bill will be. Spend a few dollars on filters and save big bucks each month on your heating and cooling bill.
Should you just hire a professional?
Once you’ve found the location of your filter, you’ll find that it’s not a very complicated process. But just because replacing the filter is relatively simple, that doesn’t mean that you should always do it yourself. Botching a replacement or using the wrong filter can lead to big issues with your HVAC system. You can rest easy knowing that the job is performed correctly when you hire a professional HVAC technician to replace your filter. Additionally, a pro will perform an inspection to ensure your unit is functioning as it should.
Pick up the phone and give Cross Heating & Air Conditioning Services, LLC a call the next time you need help with any aspect of your heating and air in Lexington, KY. Our HVAC technicians have years of experience inspecting units, replacing filters and fixing all sorts of problems that arise from everyday HVAC use. Be sure to call us as soon as you notice a problem with your system. The longer you wait, the more expensive your repairs will be!
Categorised in: Heating and Air